The Chant of Savant

Thursday 16 January 2020

DRAFT MANUSCRIPT FOR MY AUTOBIOGRAPHY (2) : (Continued from last week).


                                                                                                                                       
My long  journey  through  education.
I was   one   of  only  three  students  who  were  selected  from  Nyegezi,  to  proceed  to  higher  Secondary  education  (Standards  XI  and  XII),   at  another  Missionary  Secondary  School  located  near  Dar  Salaam,  known  as  St.  Francis College,  Pugu.   There were  only  three   such  Schools  in  the  whole  of  Tanganyika,  namely,  Tabora  Boys   Secondary  School   located  in  the  town  of  Tabora,  which  was  operated  by  the  Government.  The other was  Minaki  Secondary  School,  located  in  Kisarawe  District, operated   by the  UMCA  Missionaries;  and  the  third  was  St.  Francis College Pugu,   operated  by  Catholic  Missionaries,  the  Holy  Ghost  Fathers.  These senior Secondary  Schools  were  preparing  students  for  what  was  known  as  the   Cambridge  School  leaving  Examinations,    which  were  taken  annually  by  all  Standard  XII  graduating  students  throughout  the  then   British  Empire.   Thus the curriculum,  which  was  entirely  British  oriented,  included  subjects  such  as  The  History  of  the  British  Empire;  and  English  Literature;  in which  Shakespeare’s  books  were  dominant.  
Image result for photos of msekwaMy first contact with  Mwalimu  Nyerere.It   was   during my time  as  a  student   at  St.  Francis College Pugu, that I  first  came  into  contact  with  Mwalimu  Julius  Kambarage  Nyerere,  who  was  later  to  become   the  founder - President  of  our   great  country.  But   I will return  to  this  story  a  little  later.  Let me first describe   one  other  unusual    advantage,  which  came  my  way  wholly  unexpectedly   during  my  student  life,  namely  the  willingness,  and readiness,   of  different   employers  to  accept  me  for  ‘temporary  employment’   during  the  School   vacation  periods.     
The offers of temporary  employment.
This advantage started accruing  to  me   soon  after   I  had  entered   St.  Francis College   Pugu.   Apparently, my fast leaning  and  firm  grasp  of  the  English  language,  is  what  made  me  an  attractive  candidate  to  employers  seeking   qualified    personnel  for  clerical jobs.   There was a  large  cotton  ginnery   establishment  at  Murutunguru  in  Ukerewe,  managed  by  “Ukerewe  Cotton  Company’,  whose  Manager  at  the  material  time  was  an  Englishman  called  Jack  Leach.     Among his   African employees was  my  relative,  one    Pauline  Magere.   Thus, while  I  was  on  my  first  holiday  break  from  Pugu  Secondary  School,  I   went   one  day  to  visit  the  said  relative  at  his  workplace;  and  he  decided  to  introduce  me  to  the  Manager,  as  a  student  from  a Senior  Secondary  School.   Manger Leach got interested,  and  chose  to  address  me  in  English,  and  found  out  that  I  was  quite  fluent  in  that  language.   He must have  been  impressed,  for   also  asked  me  if  I  would  like  to  work   with  them  at  the  Ginnery,   whenever  I  was  on  vacation.    I   accepted the offer,  and  was  told  to  submit  a  written  application  for  temporary  employment,  which  I   did  the  next  day,  and   got  employed.   But that was  only  the  beginning,  for   the  subsequent  School  holidays,  I  received  similar   offers   from  the  District  Commissioner  of  Ukerewe  District,   Mr.  Donald   Barton, where    I was   assigned  to  serve   in  the  Chief  Clerk’s  office;  and,  after  my  admission  to  Makerere  University  College,  I   continued  receiving    similar   offers   from   the  University  College   Administration  itself.            
One thing that  my  temporary  attachment  at  the D.C.’s   office  also  enabled  me  to  learn,  was  to  acquire   considerable  understanding   of   some  of  the  basic  skills  in  the  field  of  Public  Administration,  which  I  made  good  use  of  when  I  subsequently  became  an  Administrator  myself.    The most distinctive  lesson  was  the  high  level  of  administrative  efficiency   (both  at  the  District  as  well  as  the  Provincial  level),  that   was  displayed  in  a  crime  incident  which  I  personally  witnessed,  and   which   made  an  indelible  imprint  on  my  young  mind.                                                                           
  A bizarre murder of an  Indian  shopkeeper,  had  taken  place  at  Kisorya,   a trading  center   on the  mainland   side  of Ukerewe  District.   Initially, the   D.C.  mistakenly thought that  the  murder  was probably   politically  motivated,  so  he  quickly  called  the  Provincial  Police  Headquarters  in  Mwanza,  on  the  police  radio  telephone.  And,  just  about  an  hour  later,  a  Cessna   aircraft  landed  at  the  Ukerewe  airstrip,  bringing   two  police  detective  personnel  who,  after   only  about  thirty- six  hours  of   thorough  investigation,  were  able  to  establish  the  identity  all   the  people  who  were  responsible  for  that  crime,  plus  their  stupid  motive  for doing  so:  jealousy  for  a  woman  prostitute!   To me,  the  speed  with  which  this  matter  was  dealt  with  and  concluded,   was  absolutely   impressive,  and  a   lesson  in  administrative  efficiency. We can  now  return  to  the  story  of  my  first   introduction  to  Mwalimu  Julius  Nyerere   at  Pugu  Secondary  School.
Mwalimu Nyerere was  my  teacher.
Mwalmu Nyerere had  just  joined  the  teaching  staff  at  St.  Francis College Pugu,  when  I  joined  that  school  at  the  beginning  of   1953.  He was assigned  to  teach  History  to  our  class.   In those days,  each  classroom  had only  twenty  five  students;   which  made  it  possible  for  the  teacher  to  pay  get  to  know  the  ability  of  each  individual  student.   Apparently, I was  doing  very  well  in  our  class,  hence  I  soon  attracted  his  attention.  Thus,  towards  the  end  of my   second  school  year   (when   I  was   in  Standard  XII),  the  Ministry  of  Education  in  Dar  es  Salaam  advertised  the  availability  of  scholarships,  which  had  been  offered  by  the  Government  of  India,  for those  Tanganyika  students  wishing  to  pursue  their  degree  courses  in  that  country.   Mwalimu Nyerere had  seen  a  copy  of  the  advertisement  that  had  been  sent  to  the  school.                                        
  Because he    was pretty  sure  that  I  would  pass  the  Cambridge  examinations  and  therefore  qualify  for  one  of  those  scholarships,  he  called  me  to  his  office,   and  encouraged  me  to  apply;   which  I  surely  did.    I was subsequently called  for  interview  at  the  Ministry  of  Education  Headquarters,  which  I  passed;    and  thus  secured   a  scholarship  to  study  for  a  Bachelor  of  Laws  (LLB)  degree  at  Poona  University;   subject,  of  course,  to  passing  the  pending   Cambridge  Examinations  at  the  required  level. 
When those results  eventually    came  out,  I  had  passed  the  said   examinations  with   first  class  distinction;  and  was  accordingly  selected  to  join  Makerere  University  College.    I chose to  go  to  Makerere,   for  the  reason  only  that  it  was  much  nearer  home  than far  away  Poona  in  India.    Even during   those old  days,  it  was  a  fairly  simple  trip  by  boat   to  travel  from  Ukerewe  to  Makerere   in  Kampala,  which  is  just  on  the  other  side  of  the  shared  Lake  Victoria.   Furthermore, no passports,  or  other  travel  documents,  were  required;   plus  the  fact  that  the  currency  used  in  Tanganyika  and  Uganda  (and  Kenya),  was  the  same  East  African  shilling.    But beyond that,  I  was  also   attracted   by   Makerere’s   exceptionally  high   prestige,  as  the  sole  University  Institution  serving   the  whole  of  East  Africa  (Kenya,  Uganda,  and  Tanganyika)  at  that  time.
My Sojourn at  Makerere   University  College.
            Because all Secondary  education  in  East  Africa  terminated  at  Standard  XII,  Makerere  University  College  had  designed  a  progamme  of  two  years ,  followed  by  a  matriculation  examination,  success  in  which  then  enabled  a  student  to  proceed  to  the  three-year  degree courses  in  the   Arts  and  Social  Sciences.  Many of the  students,  including  some  of  my  colleagues  with  whom  I  had  come  from  Pugu  Secondary  School,  failed  to  qualify  for  the  degree  courses,  and  were,   instead,  offered  alternative   non-degree   courses  in  the  teaching  profession.   As for myself,  I  was  selected  to  join  a  special   degree  programme,   which  had  just  been   introduced   at  the  College   by  London  University  (to  which  Makerere  University  College  was  affiliated),  consisting  of  a  single-subject  degree.   Students were not  allowed  to  apply  for  a programme  of  their  choice.  Instead, it is the  Professors  of  the  specified  subjects  who  chose  their  participants,   based  entirely  on  the  student’s  ability  in  the  relevant  subject.  I was selected  for  the  History  Degree  course;    and  was  therefore  enrolled  for  what  was  designated  as  “B.A. (Honours)  (History)  degree”   of  the  University  of  London.   
But before that,  during  the  two-years  matriculation  course  on  campus,  there  occurred   two  memorable  events  which  are  worth  putting  on  record;   and  one  other  social  event,  which  occurred  off- campus  (while  I  was  on  the   regular  vacations  at  home  in   Ukerewe).                                                   
The  two  academic  events   that  happened   on  campus  were:  (a)  my  winning  the  first  prize  in  an  essay-writing  competition,  and  (b) my  selection  to  join  the  newly  established  “single-subject  honours  degree” ,  which  I have  already  discussed  above;   while  the  socio-political  event  was  my  election  to  the  leadership  post  of  Secretary-General  of  the  Students’ Organization,   Makerere  Students’   Guild.
The Social Science Department had arranged  an  essay-writing  completion  among  all  the  students,  on  an  Economics  subject  whose  title  I  cannot  now  remember.   I participated in that  competition,   and  won  the  first  prize  of  East  African  shillings  five  hundred,  a  very  decent  amount  of  money  in  1956.
The newly introduced   single-subject   academic programme   in the Arts  and  Social  Science  Department  was,  rather  surprisingly,  designed  to  be  an  intellectual   elite  programme.   Students   were not allowed to apply  to  join  that  programme.   As already stated above,  the  programme  participants  were  selected  by  the   Professors   of  the  relevant  subjects,  purely  on  the  basis  of  their   academic  competence  in  that  subject.   Only three of us  were  selected  for  the  inaugural  “History  Honours  Degree”  course,  namely   myself,  and   two  colleagues  from  Kenya.                                    
The relevant socio-political  event  was  my  election  as  Secretary-General  of  the  Students  Organization,   known  as  Makerere  Students’ Guild.  This happened in  the  third,  and  final  year,  of  my  degree  course.    In the course  of  my  leadership  of  the  Student  Organization  in  that  capacity,  a  World  Students  Conference  was  convened  in  Lima,  the  capital  city  of  Peru,   in  South  America.  The   preparations for travelling to South America   exposed  me  to  exciting  new  life  experiences,  including   the acquisition  of  a  passport,  the  possession  of    foreign  currency,  and  the  novelty   of   long  distance  travel  by  air.          
But beyond that, and far  more  important,  was  the  fact  that   this  student  leadership  intervention  helped  to  build   the  foundations  for  basic  leadership  skills,  which  gave  me  very  good  grounding  for  my  subsequent  career  as  a  leader  in  various  top  positions  at  the  national  level.
The off-campus events were (a) my  temporary  employment at  the  D.C.’s  office  in  Ukerewe,  which  I  have  already  referred  to  above,  and b)  My  hastily  arranged  marriage  to  a  fiancée,   who  was  in  a hurry  to  get  married!                                      
This happened on 12th May,  1959;  when  I  had  gone  home to  pay  condolences  to  the  family  of  my  cousin  Sylvester  Mashauri,  who  had  unfortunately   died  in  a  motorbike  accident  in  Kigoma District,  where  he  was  working   as  a  Medical  Assistant  in  a  Government  Hospital. 
 Because of the offers of  vacation  employment  by  the  Makerere  College  Administration  referred  to  earlier,  I  was  usually  spending  my  vacations  working  at  the  College itself.    But on this particular  occasion,  I  had  received  my  employer’s  permission  to  be  absent   for  just  one  week,  in  order  to  visit  my  bereaved  family  in  Ukerewe.   And that is when  the  unexpected  happened,  when    I  was  suddenly  put  under   great  pressure  to  get  married  immediately;   against  my  original  plan  of  getting  married   after  graduation.  But, in the  circumstances  of  the  moment,  I willingly  bowed   to  the  pressure,  and   got  married.    However, the   marriage  subsequently   ended   prematurely  in  a  divorce  by  the  High  Court.   Furthermore, I initiated  another   divorce  process  through  the  court  system  of  the  catholic  church;   at  the  conclusion  of  which,  divorce  was  granted,  and,  consequently,   I  was   given  permission  to  contract  another  Christian  marriage.
To be  continued  next  week.
piomsekwa@gmail.com/0754767576.   

No comments: