The Chant of Savant

Thursday 23 July 2020

Benjamin Mkapa, I knew

 BREAKING NEWS:RAIS MSTAAFU BENJAMIN MKAPA AFARIKI DUNIA - YouTube
The late Benjamin William Mkapa, former Tanzania president, was not only my president but also my friend. The man with who we could exchange even emails whenever I needed his ‘nuggets of wisdom’. What a humble human being that did not allow his power and stature to set him apart from commoners. Considering the  power he commanded as a former president or a statesman, many would think Mkapa were an alofr  former president. Nope, he was accessible and ready to help whenever he could. I received the news of the demise of Mkapa as I was preparing myself to go to bed at about 10.00 Central Time. I tried to call his best friend my friend Cde Pius Msekwa, who was unable to speak. It took me time to accept that Hon Mkapa was no more.
To be frank, I came to know and interact with the late Mkapa through my best friend Cde Pius Msekwa with whom I co-authored the book on president John Magufuli when I had any issue I wanted to tackle. As well, Mkapa inspired us to write this book after he published his magnum opus. We even wanted him to write its foreword but we declined for fear of overburdening him so to speak. Importantly,  I still vividly remember. When I introduced myself to the late Mkapa, he was then unwell. He just sent me a short email asking me to bear with him so that after recovering, he’d soon touch base with me. And indeed, he did. Thereafter, I was free to ask him any question or help whenever I felt like. I feel weak that I cannot write much up until it sinks in. Importantly, Mkapa was one of the humblest persons I have ever interacted with, especially as a former president and a statesman.
THEE WELL BENJAMIN WILLIAM MKAPA MY FRIEND. TANZANIA WILL MISS YOU DEARLY MY FRIEND. MAY THE ALMIGHTY GOD REST YOUR SOUL IN ETERNAL PEACE. NENDA SALAMA,  THIE WEGA FYU, HAMBA KAHLE BENJAMIN WILLIAM MKAPA MY FRIEND AND LEADER.
Clip Art Botanical Ilustrations - Flowers For The Dead Png ...

No comments: